Mr. Media is recorded live before a studio audience of 47-year-old fanboys who could really stand to take a bath and develop some practical business skills besides knowing how many comics fit snugly in a longbox… in the new new media capitol of the world… St. Petersburg, Florida!
By BOB ANDELMAN
It’s been a while since business writer Daniel Pink was a guest on Mr. Media to talk about his first graphic novel, Johnny Bunko: The Last Career Guide You’ll Ever Need.
That book was intended for an audience of job seekers who lacked some basic skills needed to succeed in the modern workplace. They were also people who weren’t likely to buy and read Pink’s nonfiction, picture-less narratives such A Whole New Mind or Free Agent Nation.
Apparently Pink was on to something – Johnny Bunko has since been translated into 14 different languages.
Now a company called Round Table is working with SmarterComics to turn Pink’s one-off project into an industry. It has produced graphic novels from six respected, bestselling business experts and is marketing them to an audience unlikely to read 300 pages of text but probably willing to invest the time and effort into a 50-page comic book full of immediately useful knowledge, told in an entertaining fashion.
At the top of the list of SmarterComics’ initial release this April 2011 is The Long Tail by Wired magazine editor Chris Anderson. Also noteworthy is an adaptation of the 2,500-year-old The Art of War by Sun Tzu, a classic battleplan for success found on the shelf of every modern CEO.
I know a little about educational comics myself, having written the biography of Will Eisner, who started the whole genre back in World War II with Army Motors. So I thought it would be interesting to have Round Table CEO Corey Michael Blake on the show to talk about his new enterprise.
COREY MICHAEL BLAKE audio excerpt: “I found Chris Anderson’s email address. I said, ‘We’re interested in taking your book, The Long Tail, and introducing it to comic book fans.’ In 24 hours I had an answer: ‘Let’s talk to my agent.’ It hit his sweet spot. He loves to be an innovator ans he is a comic book fan.”
You can LISTEN to this interview with COREY MICHAEL BLAKE, CEO of ROUND TABLE, by clicking the audio player above!
Bob Andelman is the author or co-author of 12 books, including ‘The Consulate’ with Thomas R. Stutler, ‘The Profiler’ with Pat Brown, ‘Built From Scratch’ with the founders of The Home Depot, ‘The Profit Zone’ with Adrian Slywotzky, ‘Mean Business’ with Albert J. Dunlap, and ‘Will Eisner: A Spirited Life.’
- VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: Carbon Nation director Peter Byck on the real innovators (Interview) (mrmedia.com)
- The Advocate’s 1980s Wendel comics take cartoonist Howard Cruse down memory lane (Interview) (andelman.com)
- Podcasters interviewed by Mr. Media (mrmedia.com)
- VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: Charlene Kaye talks about and sings with Glee’s Darren Criss! (Interview 4 of 4) (mrmedia.com)
- Horrible? Hagar cartoonist Chris Browne is anything but! (Interview) (mrmedia.com)
- Being Human cast interviews by Mr. Media (mrmedia.com)
- Mr. Media interviews with the cast of Fox’s Firefly (andelman.com)
- VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: Certifiably Jonathan filmmakers interview (Part 2 of 2) (mrmedia.com)